One Pillar - the temple with unique architecture
The Hanoitimes - The pagoda was recognized as the first national historical-cultural monument in 1962. It is also chosen as one of the symbols of Hanoi capital.
The One Pillar Pagoda is one of the symbols of Hanoi capital
According to the Book of Hanoi-Historical Relics and Sceneries, the epitaph was built in the third Canh Tri (1665) under the reign of Emperor Le Huyen Tong, by monk Le Tat Dat. At the position of One Pillar Pagoda today, under the Tang Dynasty in China, a pillar was erected in the middle of a square lake. Emperor Ly Thai Tong often came to pray. He remodeled the pagoda, built another one next to the One Pillar Pagoda (10m to the southwest) and named the whole pagoda complex as “Diên Hựu tự”, which means "long lasting blessings".
In 1954, the French Expeditionary Force, before withdrawing from Hanoi, blew up One Pillar Pagoda by placing landmines. After taking over the capital, the Ministry of Culture of the Democratic Republic of Vietnam did a huge restoration work and rebuilt the Dien Huu Pagoda and the One Pillar Pagoda following the old architecture.
The One Pillar Pagoda is located on a stone pillar in the middle of the small lake of Linh Chieu full of lotus flowers, evoking the image of a lotus flower stretching out in the pond. The One Pillar Pagoda was the result of the restoration in 1840-1850 and 1922. Dai Lien Hoa was repaired in 1955 by architect Nguyen Ba Lang.
The One Pillar Pagoda currently consists of square towers of three-meter in width, four-meter-high curved roof, (not including the submersible part) and 1.2m in diameter. The top of the column is a system of wooden beams to support the tower above.
In the temple’s garden, there is a bodhi tree from the Buddha, presented by President Rajendra Prasad on the occasion of President Ho Chi Minh's visit to India in 1958.
The pagoda was recognized as the first national historical-cultural monument in 1962. It is also chosen as one of the symbols of Hanoi capital.