National Cinema Center - 87 Láng Hạ (Xem bản đồ)
National Cinema Center - 87 Láng Hạ (Xem bản đồ)
THE 5TH HA NOI INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
The 5th Ha Noi International Film Festival (HANIFF) will be held from 27 Oct to 31 Oct 2018 in Ha Noi under the Decision No. 162/QD-BVHTTDL dated 23 Jan 2018 of the Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism. The Festival is organized by the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism in collaboration with Ha Noi People’s Committee; the Cinema Department and Ha Noi Department of Culture and Sports are assigned as main organizers of the Festival.
The theme of the Festival:
“Cinema – Integration and Sustainable Development”
The Opening Ceremony will be organized at 20:00 on 27 Oct 2018, broadcasted live on VTV2.
The Closing and Awarding Ceremony will be organized at 20:10 on 31 Oct 2018, broadcasted lived on VTV1.
Venue for these ceremonies is Viet Xo Friendship Labour Cultural Palace, 91 Trần Hưng Đạo, Hoàn Kiếm, Hà Nội.
Objectives of the Festival:
HANIFF honours excellent cinema works with high artistic value, rich in humanity and creative, encouraging new cinema talents. The Festival promotes the spirit of friendship and cooperation among film makers, delegates, guests for cinema development. Along with the presentation of excellent films from different cinemas in the world, the 5th HANIFF also creates favorable conditions for Vietnamese films to approach international cinema, contributing to promoting the a beautiful, stable and hospitable country of Viet Nam through the image of Ha Noi – the City for Peace.
Comparing with previous festivals, the 5th HANIFF marks some new significant features with the improvement in quality and reputation. The 5th HANIFF gathers the biggest number of outstanding films with top artistic quality. The Festival also sets higher criteria for films in competition that have never participated in other international film festivals in Asia (instead of Southeast Asia). Therefore, there will be new-released films that have not been screened in other competitions in Asia.
One of the new features of the Ha Noi International Film Festival this year is that in addition to the opening film as usual, there will be film screened for closing the Festival. Accordingly, Shoplifters (Japan) has been chosen for the opening screening and A fantastic woman (Chile) will close the distinctive and grand party of the 5th HANIFF. Shoplifters by Kore-eda Hirokazu (Japan) was reported as "an unprecedentedly strong performance for an imported pure art-house drama". It won the Palme d'Or award at the 71st Cannes Film Festival and will be the representative of Japan at the category of the Best Foreign Language Film at the 91st Oscar in 2019. A Fantastic Woman by Sebastián Lelio (Chile) is mentioned as “a fantastic movie on a miracle woman”. It won the Best Foreign Film Award at the 90th Oscar in March 2018 and many other noble awards at other film festivals in the world.
Delegates: There are more than one thousand of delegates, guests and reporters participating in the Festival, of which 120 delegates, guests and reporters from foreign countries.
Juries of the Festival includes experienced and prestigious artists, celebrities, film makers of the world and Viet Nam.
1. Jury for Feature-Length Films:
- Mr. Oguri Kohei (Japan) – Director, Screenwriter – Head of the Jury;
- Mr. Allan Starski (Poland) – Production Designer, Set Decorator – Member of the Jury;
- Mr. Shahram Mokri (Iran) – Director - Member of the Jury;
- Mr. Lee Dong Ha (Korea) – Producer - Member of the Jury;
- Ms Ngô Thanh Vân - Actress, Producer – Member of the Jury.
2. Jury for Short Films:
- Mr. Jukka-Pekka Laakso (Finland) – Director of Tampere Film Festival - Head of the Jury;
- Mr. Raymond Red (Philippines) – Director - Member of the Jury;
- Mr. Lý Thái Dũng – People’s Artist, Director of photography - Member of the Jury.
3. NETPAC’s Jury:
- Prof. Lee Choong Jik (Korea) – Producer – Director of Jeonju International Film Festival - Head of the Jury;
- Ms. Tsengel Davaasambuu (Mongolia) - Producer - Member of the Jury;
- Ms. Nguyễn Thị Hồng Ngát – Screenwriter - Producer - Member of the Jury.
Films at the Festival:
After two rounds of selection, there are 147 films selected from 45 countries and territories to participate in the 5th HANIFF.
Beside the category of Films in Competition (feature-length films, short films, films for NETPAC’s award), there are other activities such as: Panorama; Country in Focus; Polish films, Country in Focus: Iranian films; Contemporary films of Viet Nam.
Viet Nam contributes a feature-length film, 10 short films (short feature films, documentaries, cartoons) for competition; other 35 films in different categories have been selected for Panorama and Contemporary films of Viet Nam.
At the Contemporary films of Viet Nam, the audience can vote for the “Audience’s Award”.
Venues for film screening:
- National Cinema Center - 87 Láng Hạ;
- August Cinema, No.45 Hàng Bài;
- Kim Đồng Cinema, No.19 Hàng Bài;
- BHD Star Vincom – No.2 Phạm Ngọc Thạch.
Delegates, reporters and audience will get tickets at the above-mentioned cinema centers.
Film screening calendar can be found at www.haniff.vn, or in the Festival’s Booklet and Catalogue.
HANIFF Campus 2018:
The Cinema Department in collaboration with the Redbridge Company will organize HANIFF Campus from 27 Oct to 30 Oct 2018. This is a platform for academic and film-making experience exchange and film project development of young directors with regional and international top cinema experts. They will provide Campus participants with research guidance, discussion and practice in three different programmes for Directors, Actors and Producers.
The Cinema Department in cooperation with BHD Company will organize Project Market at the Festival.
The Project Market attracts the participation of many local and international prestigious guests and representatives of Vietnamese companies in the field of cinema. Local and international talents for directors, screenwriters and producers participating in the Project Market have opportunities to share experiences with professional film makers from advanced cinemas with a view to improving professional skills and approaching well-known producers, distributors, investors and cinema organizers in the region. Apart from that, the participants can also find sponsors from major sources such as Asian Project Market (from Busan International Film Festival) and other foundations to realize their projects.
The Exhibition “Filming locations in Viet Nam” organized by Viet Nam Film Institute is also one of the events of the Festival. The exhibition will introduce to the audience many special film locations in different regions of Viet Nam.
- The first Seminar is “Country in Focus: Polish Film”. Polish cinema contributes many awarded films at prestigious festivals such as Cannes, Toronto and Oscar. Over the past years, Poland has cooperated with many countries with advanced cinemas. Particularly, Viet Nam and Poland signed Cooperation Agreement in December 2017, contributing to promoting cultural diversity, preserving cinema heritage, exchanging films and experiences, training professional film making, production and distribution skills as well as joint-production.
- The second Seminar is “Iranian Cinema Achievement in International Film Festivals”. Iran is known for the cinema of quintessence with many low-budget films but very successful in the world. The Seminar is an opportunity for film makers to have different views on how Iran seeks ideas for films, successfully introduces films to international arena and overcomes difficulties.
Open-air screening will be taken place at Lý Thái Tổ Garden in the evenings of 28, 29 and 30 Oct 2018 to meet the demand of Ha Noi audience and tourists, contributing to promoting the Festival, attracting public attention and participation in different activities of the Festival. Right before each screening, well-known artists will perform and interact with audience. The three films that will be screened include: The tailor (Viet Nam), Anida and the floating circus (Argentina) và A Simple Favor (Australia).
Cultural visits: Delegates of the Festival will visit some heritages and tourism attractions in Ha Noi and Ninh Binh Province.
Organizer’s Office and Venues of some events:
Organizer’s Office and Festival Press Center: Daewoo Hotel, No. 360 Kim Mã, Ngọc Khánh, Ba Đình, Hà Nội.
At the Festival Press Center, there will be a press meeting with some film crews. Detail agenda will be sent through email in due time.
Your feed backs have been sent to Hanoi Tourism Department.
We will respond to you as soon as possible.